Thursday, April 2, 2015

Maps to Anywhere 4/2/15

This week we began the book of essays known as Maps to Anywhere, in the first part of the book I found his story Atlantis to be interesting, But, not in the way most people say things are interesting just to keep the conversation moving.  I found it interesting because of the detail and the "voice" of the story it reads as though someone is telling you of this experience in such great detail you feel you can relate and even connect with where the author is taking you.

He describes his first experience at the barber shop in a way that made me remember the first time I ever got a haircut, it is such a personal experience and it can make of break you for the future. He used the phrase "He flourished a comb he never dropped, a soundless scissors, a razor which revealed, gently,  gently, the nape of my neck...". If you have ever watched someone getting a haircut or watched them get a  bad haircut you know that paying attention and being gentle is very important. I like the wording he used to describe the man and his tools. he didn't just come out and say "he used a razor and shaved my neck, he used scissors for my hair" his wording was very direct and detailed.

Bernard's description of the aftermath of his haircut was also greatly detailed, he describes how he watched his hair blow across the floor and how different he looked. I feel as though every one of us has had that shocking experience as they turn you around and you look at the difference that has been made. As he is getting the haircut he kept his eyes closed making the reveal especially shocking. He talks about how even though his eyes are closed he can still picture the "ghosts" of the things around him. I found that to be interesting because I know when a lot of people close their eyes they also close their minds to the things around them.

1 comment: